In a minute




Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!" “I’m here and I’ll be with you in a minute!” (Isaiah 6:8)

Ok, so I paraphrase what Isaiah would have said if he’d also been a mum of four. Amidst the collection of phrases that I’m known to utter with embarrassing frequency; you know, all those things you say that make you sound like your mother (I called my daughter “young lady” the other day, God help me), the one I say most frequently is “in a minute.”
“Muuuuuum!”
“In a minute!”
“Mum, will you help me with this?”
“Yep, in a minute.”
“Mum, I need you to sign this for me.”
“Ok, in a minute.”

It’s always in a minute. In my defence, it’s not all my fault. We’re a family of six. If you don’t have a big family I can’t begin to explain to you the amount of time I spend cooking, washing, cleaning etc, let alone the emotional labour that it’s necessary to carry for four young people, as well as myself. Me and the husband are a good team, but family life is still endless hard work for us both. There’s always something that needs doing and there’s always a child who needs my attention for whatever reason. It’s cool. It’s fine, it really is. It’s what we signed up for and we wouldn’t change it. It’s mostly beautiful chaos and we’re so lucky that we get to live the life we have.

Imagine then, if you will, how very hard it’s been to incorporate ministry training into this mad busy world of ours. I wrote a little about what our journey so far has been like for The Confessions of a Trainee Vicar series on Hannah Barr’s blog, A Blaze of Light. The verse I (partially) quote from Isaiah 6 here, is one which invariably appears in ordination services during the summer months, and it’s been on my mind a lot lately. Isaiah’s confident reply to his vision of God is an audacious response to an uncertain calling and it’s one that potential priests are boldly expected to proclaim.

To be recommended for ministerial training a candidate must show evidence of potential in nine different areas, the most important one being vocation. My selection conference paperwork writes that: ‘Jayne has a realistic and grounded notion of her vocation.’
I am under no illusions of what the cost is of saying ‘send me.’

I know what it means to give my life to this calling; to allow myself to submit to formation in a church that I’m still learning about and I don’t always agree with, to exercise a faith that sometimes feels pointless, in a world of cynicism, defeatism and indifference. I know the cost to myself and my family of squeezing our rounded selves into the square hole of ordination training; a fit which chafes like a too tight pair of shoes and often feels unfit for purpose. And if the call of God is ‘whom shall I send?’ my response right now must be, ‘send me…but just give me a minute.”

You see, there are other calls upon my life, calls that are just as important and just as vital. When God made me a mama, she didn’t - I’m certain – expect me to stop doing that in order to follow a different calling. Instead, I’ve had to find a way to follow both callings, in a manner that’s life-giving and spiritually nourishing for us all. It’s been a massive challenge.

My first year of training has been a steep learning curve for us; it’s ignited in me a passion for theological learning that will be life-long. I’ve formed bonds with wonderful people and made brilliant friends. I’ve grown as a pastoral practitioner, as a preacher, as a person. I’ve had my heart broken, utterly, by things that have been done to me and to my family. I’ve been torn and stretched and I’ve triumphed and I’ve wept, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it really doesn’t have to be this way. I’m not dropping the ball, I’m choosing to put it down for a while.

When I’ve discussed the cost to parents, particularly mothers, of ministerial training, I’ve invariably had women tweet me to tell me how they did it whilst, ooh I don’t know, pregnant as well as looking after triplets and working full time, for example, “and I survived! I got through it! So can you!”(I exaggerate for comic effect, of course but you get the gist.)

Well done you, I say. But increasingly I’m starting to think that just because you can do something, it doesn’t mean you should. Sometimes, the cost is just too much. Sometimes, for some people, the healthiest thing is to say “Actually, do you know what? I can’t do this anymore. My family are suffering because I’m pursuing this calling and right now their need is greater.”
It’s ok to say that.
It’s ok to pause and to take stock.
It’s ok to wait and to say ‘In a minute,’ because sometimes your hands are so full that you’re unable to pick anything else up.

We like to say that everyone makes the choices that are best for them, but the truth is often that we make choices based upon lack of choice. We all suck it up because that’s the way things are and we even try and convince ourselves and each other that it’s all fine and we’re ok and our kids are ok, when really the truth, the grim reality, is that they’re often not.
Turns out, I can’t actually have it all. I can’t be all things to all people: juggle deadlines, do all the reading, ace the essays, write the sermon, run those errands, comfort that child, attend that meeting, iron those clothes, make those lunches, scrub that bathroom, reply to those emails, return that phone-call, say those prayers, read that bible, and ask God every minute that I show up and am on it at all times. Friends, it can’t be done.

And so I’m doing something I rarely do. Instead of making myself ill by running myself into the ground and surviving on a cocktail of adrenaline, perfectionism and guilt, I’m saying Lord, I surrender. For now, this is how it must be. By all means yes, send me, but there’s things I need to take care of first, and so I’ll be with you in a minute.


Comments

  1. A powerful commentary on how ministerial training can impact on the life of women, and particularly those with family responsibilities. I don't know anyone, Clergy or Laity who didn't struggle with the balancing act and tight rope walking that that entails.

    Once upon a time, I too heard that passage from Issy, and answered it. But, I was older, nearly 60 years old, just about to retire and thought that perhaps this might be time to explore that vocation that has only just made it felt in my life. New to the CofE, new to a faith which demanded more from me than anything that I had previously experienced in my former RC life, 20 years before.

    I had to get over the hurdles of challenges to my suitability first with vocations team, than with a DDO than with a Bishop, who sent me away for more discernment, than with a BAP process, which treated those from a background with no formal educational qualifications as some sort of out of place, place marker. Give them a push and they will fall out of the book. They tried the ageist card "You realise you will only ever be an assistant priest", or, "you realise that with 3 years training and 3 years curacy, your will have to retire at 70" or more calculating "You realised that your lack of evidence of academic achievement might hold you back". Despite Level Seven qualifications held via the vocational route.

    A new hurdle was a "Pre-Bap Panel" at diocese, which I was expected to fail, however, I came through with a strong recommendation to BAP. Than BAP was delayed for nearly 9 months as other "younger" more "urgent" candidates were given priority. Than BAP itself, which I went to confident but was criticised for being myself, and having little evidence of academic achievement.

    So, a NOT recommendation was a failure of sorts. Mine for over confidence, those who encouraged me on that journey, for the DDO and Pre-BAP panel who recommended me and the Bishop who sent me, but mostly for a system which is weighted towards those with a degree, probably with a Penis and under the age of 40 and importantly a first degree to their name.

    I will cloud over subsequent events, but after a change of parish and diocese I was enabled and empowered to train for Reader Ministry, academic achievement or lack of it wasn't a hurdle, age wasn't a hurdle and I studied at levels up to level 6 in most of the modules. Unfortunately, the accreditation isn't for a degree, or no doubt I would have one. The satisfaction is perhaps that God had a plan for me, which I didn't discern in the right way, and was encouraged to embrace that particular pathway to ministry, rather than being told bluntly at the start that it wasn't right for me.

    I can look back fondly on the formation that the discernment process gave me and the subsequent training in wonderful company with those on a similar journey, which no doubt I would have experienced if my[ cohort had been for ordination.

    Reading your post gives me pause for thought in that while God might have been saying who shall I send, he might have been saying how will I send you and how will I test you in that process. Continuous hurdles or a smooth journey, it is evident that he chose the former, while forming me for the latter.

    I will pray for you as you struggle with priorities, as I also thank my spouse and wider family and friends who supported me through the ups and downs of my pathway. Now, after two years of Reader Ministry, I have surrender my licence for PTO at 70, while the journey isn't still complete.

    So much to do, and so few to do it. And a system that is designed for the few to succeed and not the many, particularly from a background that doesn't quite fit into the 9 criteria and the selection process for ordination. I wonder how many burn out on that particular journey?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amongst many wise things I've heard and read is the thought "You're first ministry is to your family".
      Bless!

      Delete
  2. Really hard decision to step off the treadmill - but very much feels the right one for you and your family for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my children were small, my response to "Mom" was "My hands are busy.". So if you just need me to listen, come to where I am. If it is more than that, you will have to wait.
    So, I think you are saying "my hands are busy". God will come to where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I brought up 4 children more or less on my own and had a big career in the NHS. Young people asked me for advice about how i did it and my reply was "don't do it my way". Your family are only young once and you've made a decision to prioritise them. God is compassionate and can feel your angst. Later you can return to training. God will have a plan for you then. In the meantime organisers of ministerial training need to make it much more family friendly. Hopefully someone is working on that now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The system doesn't work. The institution doesn't practice the Gospel it claims to uphold for those in training. Be assured you are one of many that God calls and the institution and system dumps. Remain strong and be strong in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot begin to tell you how absolutely relieved and affirmed I feel after reading your blog. It echoes so much of my own formational journey. Thank you so much for your authenticity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog and food for thought with my wife thinking of applying for ministry with both our children struggling at school at different times it is thinking about family first. God can use someone if the lay role or ordained. He is big enough to say use me in a different context.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts